Wednesday 4 April 2012

Cute Girls On Bikes




If you live in Adelaide, you will know how much people here love cycling.

And by people, I mean middle aged men, often with beer guts, who parade around the Central Markets or sip coffee at CIBO in their lycra.

My father is unfortunately one of these offenders. 

Then, the other day, I saw this pretty girl in a cute outfit riding a bike along The Parade in Norwood. 

You know what, I want to be that pretty girl. I want to look super adorable while I exercise. I want people to think I'm alternative and I really care about the planet when really I just want to be a cute girl on a bike.

 I want to be just like these girls below who have all been snapped by The Sartorialist








The thing that these photos have in common besides the pretty girls on bikes is the obvious lack of lycra and helmets.

At University we had to design an ad campaign to encourage more people to cycle. 

I went with the idea that we could make bike riding more fashionable if people didn't have to wear helmets. 

Did you know that Australia and New Zealand are the only countries that have mandatory helmet laws for cyclists?
People cycle less in countries where helmet laws are introduced. Cycling becomes safer the more people who do it and a lot of people debate the actual benefit of wearing helmets.

I say we do away with the helmets so we can all be fabulous fashionable cyclists without helmet hair!

Unfortunately by the looks of these pictures, it seems that no one rides a bike in Winter. I guess I'll have to wait until Summer to get into the cycling craze and get helmet laws overthrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment