Wednesday 1 August 2012

On Trend: Olympic Fashion Gets Nailed

Getty Images

I think it says a lot about me that what I notice most about the Australian Olympic swimming team is their fancy green and gold nail art.

Not how the 'Missile missed the target' or the armspan of Michale Phels, or the Ye Shiwen doping controversty. No, I'm like 'check out Stephanie Rice's nails!'

It seems she and the other Olympians sporting this look (see what I did there) have stumbled onto a new trend.

Nail art is all I seem to see on Instagram and Pinterest lately. The last time I did 'nail art' was in year 3 when I got a nail tattoo kit for my birthday but apparently my press on butterfly and flower stickers would be highly sought after in the Olympic village.

I'm not sure I have the energy or urge to paint my nails with tiny kangaroos but hey I get it. You can't exactly accessorise an Olympic athlete, you have to stand out somehow.

Check out some of the best nail art of the Olympics and maybe get inspired to create your own.

Getty Images
Missy Franklin, USA




British archer Amy Oliver 

Getty Images
Caroline Wozniacki, Tennis, Denmark

Photo by Michael Dalde, Reuters

Elizabeth Beisel, American Swimmer

Photo by Adam Pretty, Getty Images
Australia's Sweetheart Stephanie Rice

Toby Melville Reuters
Italian swimmer Stefania Pirozzi (No, just no)

French swimmer Coralie Balmy

Getty Images
Classic Venus Williams. I wouldn't expect any less.

Photo by Paul Gilham, Getty Images
Aussie archer Elise Barnard


Team GB swimmer Aimee Wilmott 

Getty Images
Bronte Barratt




Aussie Kayaker Jess Fox

Getty Images
Rebecca Adlington, GB

Getty Images
Shauna Mullin, Beach Volleyball, GB

1 comment:

  1. What a great observation and compilation of images! Love the Olympic rings.
    The swimmers have quite a penchant for nail art don't they?

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete