Friday 10 August 2012

Macaron Madness


It's no secret that Macarons are the "in" dessert right now. 

It's also no secret that half of their appeal is that they're super hard to make. Well everybody can bow down to the master because I managed to make them perfectly the first time!

I never cooked anything before I moved out of home. Ever. Which is why it is so strange how much I've gotten into baking and cooking and watching Masterchef (shame on me). 

Unfortunately I can't take all the credit for my success. I followed a recipe on a blog called Brave Tart and the woman who writes it makes macarons every single day. Another blog Eat. Live. Travel. Write has really great pictures that you can follow every step of the way. Super helpful.

The trick is to follow the recipe EXACTLY. I weighed the egg whites and everything.

One thing I did change was that I beat the eggs double the amount of time because they didn't look like the picture and I don't have a fancy KitchenAid. If I were to make them again I would beat them even longer. I would beat the crap out of them. 

I'm not going to lie though, I made four trays and the last 2 were like flat almond biscuits. I think this was because they sat around for too long so that's something to keep in mind.

If you've also had success with Macarons, comment below because I'd be interested in hearing your tips & tricks!


No comments:

Post a Comment